What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 188.8.131.52. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $1.5 Million Order for Power Amplifier Power Supply Modules to Support the U.S. Military
- Vertex Hires Executive to Lead Expansion in Latin America
- Sierra Wireless expands into M2M connectivity services with acquisition of Wireless Maingate
- Telarix Awarded 2015 Visionary Spotlight Award
- DiCentral Acquires the Assets of QLogitek and Creates a Strategic Relationship with Parent Company Smart Employee Benefits
- Guidance Software Recognized as the Estimated Market Share Leader by Gartner in the Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Tools Market
- Allegion and Central Indiana Hardware Partnered to Donate $93K in Cash and Security Hardware to Support Facility Upgrades, PowerHour Program at Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis
- Atos to Acquire Xerox's Information Technology Outsourcing Business
- Allegion Products Selected for More Than $1M Architectural Hardware Contract for Sanford Medical Center
- Comporium Names Russell Cook Managing Director of Comporium Ventures
- Imprivata to Present at The 33rd Annual J.P. Morgan 2015 Healthcare Conference
- Pinnacle Business Systems Named an Inaugural CRN Triple Crown Winner
- Pulse Secure Simplifies Secure Device Onboarding and Compliance for BYOD
- Bentley Systems Congratulates Network Rail on Taking Top Honors for its Linear Assets Decision Support System at IET Innovation Awards 2014
- TechNavio says the Need for Better Functional Security Systems Will Stimulate the Mobile Security Market in Japan by 2019
- Intelliverse Experiences Record Growth in 2014
- Ping Identity Grows Executive Team and Celebrates a Record 1 Billion Identities Protected
- Options Names Former KPMG Director Brian McKimm as Chief Financial Officer
- JDA Sets the Stage for Growth with Eight Authorized Reseller Agreements
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $1.1 Million Contract for High-Power Amplifiers for Direct-to-Home Television Services