What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 18.104.22.168. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Allegion to Host Press Conference, School Security Seminar, at ASIS International 2014
- Rick Genovese Resigns from ServiceSource to Focus on Personal Health Concerns
- Rackspace Ends Formal Evaluation of M&A Transactions; Focus Remains on Managed Cloud Market Leadership
- Rackspace Names Taylor Rhodes as CEO and a Member of the Board of Directors
- Vendor shakeup in network security market starts in Q2, more to come
- iQ Solutions Group, LLC. Announces Expansion of Cloud Based Services
- Fujitsu to Provide Hyperscale, Software-defined Storage in Collaboration with Red Hat
- WeDo Technologies Welcomes Tony Poulos as Market Strategist; Telecommunications software and systems expert joins Enterprise Business Assurance leader in consulting role
- Gridstore Founder Is Featured Speaker at MVP Days Canada
- Pacific DataVision, Inc. Completes Equity Raise of $218 Million and Acquires Nationwide 900 MHz Licenses to Expand Its Business and Offer Two-way Radio Voice and Data Services
- Edgewater Networks and Princeton, Ltd. Sign Asia Pacific Distribution Agreement for EdgeProtect Unified Communications ESBC
- Merger Gives IBM i Market a Fresche Look
- Canon to Exhibit Document Scanners at 2014 OnBase Training & Technology Conference
- MOBOTIX Corp. Prevails In Patent Dispute: USPTO Cancels Patent
- Confiance Announces Official Launch of Kloudkode™ to Accelerate Cloud Adoption for the Enterprise
- INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION UNION: ITU to boost communication capacity and emergency communication solutions for small island developing states
- Xentry Systems Integration and Ascom Partner for Streamlined Healthcare, Communication Services
- Intel Security Achieves 7 Consecutive Years as a Leader in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Mobile Data Protection
- Waratek and Leading Global Bank to Present Session on Runtime Application Self Protection at JavaOne
- Bay Dynamics Wins Gold for Data Protection Innovations in 2014 Golden Bridge Awards