What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 220.127.116.11. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Comporium to Offer Advanced Digital Signage Product -- Hypersign
- Jericho Systems Receives Patent for Trust Elevation During RESTful Authentication of User Identity
- International Participation & Investment Will Propel the Smart Grid Market in India Through 2018, Says TechNavio
- Research and Markets: Managed Services Market in the GCC 2014-2018: Key Vendors are IBM, Injazat Data Systems, Gulf Business Machines and Saudi Telecom Company
- Anixter International Inc. Appoints Scott R. Peppet to the Board of Directors
- Deltek Appoints Duane Kotsen as New Senior Vice President of Global Services
- HARMAN Breaks Ground on New North American Automotive Headquarters
- Survey Report: Accounts Payable Departments Remain Challenged by Excessive Paper and Manual Invoice Processing
- DraftKings Signs Exclusive Partnership Agreement with the Denver Broncos
- Voxbone to Support Orange Business Services to Extend Inbound Voice Services
- Aquilent Named '2015 AWS Premier Consulting Partner'
- VARs Think Outside the Box with ADTRAN ProCloud? Managed Services
- KONE Transforms Online Customer Experiences with SDL
- Five9 Receives Customer Experience Excellence Award for SoCoCare Social Media Platform
- Research and Markets: Global Intermodal Freight Transportation Market 2014-2019 - Aljex Software, IBM, Cognizant, GE Transportation, Profit Tools, HighJump Software, and TMW Systems Dominate the $26 Billion Industry
- McAfee and Europol Combine Talents to Fight Cybercrime
- Gigaom Research Reveals CapEx Savings, DR Efficiency and BYOD Computing Driving Adoption of Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS)
- Research and Markets: OTT Video: Opportunities for Telcos around VoD, SVOD and Telco CDN
- Windstream Upgrades Network with Overture 6500 Multi-Service Ethernet Platform
- Intelliverse Q4 2014 Feature Release for Sales Acceleration Software