What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 22.214.171.124. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- ScanSource Reports First Quarter Results
- ServiceSource Reports Third Quarter 2014 Financial Results
- Virtusa Announces Second Quarter Fiscal 2015 Consolidated Financial Results
- Imperva Announces Third Quarter 2014 Financial Results
- CARTES Secure Connexions 2014 Exhibitor Profiles
- CBTS Advanced Cyber Security Earns the NSA's Prestigious Cyber Incident Response Accreditation
- Digital Connections, Inc. (DCi) Selects Bromium to Deliver Next-Generation Endpoint Protection
- Pipeline Transportation Market by Solution, by Modes - Global Forecast to 2019
- Continuum Expands Executive Management Team with New Chief Information Officer
- Continuum Names New Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Engineering
- Blue Belt Technologies Closes $40 Million in Debt Financing from CRG
- TigerText Adds Former Oracle Exec to Lead Global Sales Team; Company Expands Sales Leadership to Support Rapid Growth
- Duncan Clubb Joins Align To Drive Services And Solutions In The U.K. And Europe
- Axcient and Business Continuity Institute to Host Complimentary Webinar Series on Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Initiatives
- Five Automotive Aftermarket Distributors Upgrading to Epicor Vision Software
- New White Paper from Gibson and Data Realty Addresses How Businesses Can Mitigate Risk from Power Outages
- Ballantyne Strong to Report Third Quarter 2014 Financial Results on Friday, November 7, 2014
- Intelsat Reports Third Quarter 2014 Results
- N-able by SolarWinds Takes Home Two Redmond Reader's Choice Awards
- Konica Minolta Wins Good Design Award 2014 for New R&D Labs 'Konica Minolta Hachioji SKT'