What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 22.214.171.124. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Markets and Markets : Mobile Unified Communications and Collaboration Market worth $17.38 Billion by 2019
- Selacorp CEO David Selakovic Offers Premier Software Consulting Services
- NTT Communications Global Management One Wins Innovation in Outsourcing at DCD APAC Awards 2014
- Research and Markets: North America Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) Market 2014-2018 - Key Vendors are Eutelsat Communications, Intelsat, SES, Space-Communications & Telesat Holdings
- Skybox Security Accelerates Channel Program Growth with New Offerings
- Panasonic Displays Smart & Sustainable Technology Solutions at GITEX 2014
- Piston to Exhibit and Present at the 2014 OpenStack Summit in Paris
- Brite Energy, Protection 1's Solar Arm, Launches its Residential Business in San Diego
- Beachhead Solutions Cited in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Mobile Data Protection Report
- Virtualization of Data Centers Driving Adoption of Next-generation Firewalls, According to ABI Research
- Protection 1 Launches HALO, its Home Automation and Video Verification Platform
- Damballa and Bit9 + Carbon Black Partner to Deliver Integrated Network and Endpoint Protection
- Intelsat General Awarded Air Force Contract to Study Commercialization of Satellite Control Network
- SimpliVity Customer, HISI, Named Best Private Cloud at VMworld Europe 2014 User Awards
- Newgistics Names Trenton Brown as COO of Tacit Knowledge
- Avast Introduces First-Ever Home Network Security Solution
- AdvanTel Networks Announces the Promotion of a Key Executive
- Goldman Sachs Honors iboss Network Security Founders for Entrepreneurship
- NaviCloud Director™ Virtual Platform to Empower Disaster-Recovery-as-a-Service for Customer Environments
- N-able by SolarWinds Named to Inaugural CRN Cloud Partner Program Guide