What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 184.108.40.206. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Frontier Communications Completes Acquisition of AT&T Connecticut's Wireline, Broadband and Video Operations
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Receives $1.5 Million High-Power Traveling Wave Tube Amplifier Contract
- ISG to Sponsor, Present at TBM Conference in Miami
- Demand for Data Center Trust Accelerates with Cloud, Internet of Things
- Two of Atrion's Best Selected for 2014 Tech10 Award
- Zayo inks deal with O2 for nationwide UK network
- GD Protected Samsung KNOX Smartphones by General Dynamics Connect Mobile Government Workers to Classified DoD Networks
- DVTEL APPOINTS JACK MELTZER TO SENIOR DIRECTOR, GLOBAL A&E PROGRAM
- N-able by SolarWinds Named to Inaugural CRN Cloud Partner Program Guide
- Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Selects Globalstar GPS Satellite Technology for Groomer Fleet Tracking
- SmarTV and Quadriga Worldwide Unite to Create Leading Global Technology Service Provider For The Hospitality Industry
- McKesson Launches New SecureHIPAA™ Solution at NCPA
- TierPoint Agrees to Acquire Xand
- NCR Announces Third Quarter 2014 Results
- Infonetics study: Security is #1 concern for enterprise access networks
- Research and Markets: Global Antivirus Software Package Market 2014-2018: Key Vendors are Avast, AVG, ESET, Microsoft & Symantec
- 2nd Watch and New Relic Join Forces to Optimize AWS Environments
- Canon Business Process Services Addresses Key Records Management Topics at the ARMA International Conference
- DVTEL names Jack Meltzer as senior director, Global A&E Program
- Kellogg Leverages ScienceLogic Software to Accelerate Its Hybrid Cloud Rollout