What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 220.127.116.11. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Mavenir Systems, Inc. Announces the Repayment and Amendment of its Debt Facilities
- Infonetics: Mobile Device Security Taking Front Stage as Businesses Try to Get Tighter Grip on Mobile Gear
- NDS Improves its Position on Global & North American MSPmentor Rankings, Now in the Top Third of Global Companies
- Novitex Launches a New Service Solution for the Insurance Industry
- MasterCard and Visa Launch Cross-Industry Effort to Accelerate Payment Security
- Telco Big Data Analytics is the New Frontier as Mobile Traffic Hits 200 Exabytes in 2019, Says ABI Research
- Micrel Offers New Generation of Miniature High Side Load Switches Capable of Delivering up to 3A in 1mm x 1.5mm Package
- Reliance Globalcom Appoints Rory Cole as Chief Financial Officer
- New NFC Solution for Identity Cards Enables Fast and Convenient Benefits for Citizens
- Deutsche Telekom plugs into the future with digital 'Steckerleiste'
- Public Safety LTE: A Global Assessment of Market Size, Technology, Vendor Trends and Spectrum Allocation 2014 - 2019
- TrustComm signs agreements with Inmarsat and Spectra Group to distribute new L-TAC service with Slingshot adaptor
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Declares $0.30 Per Share Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Announces Results for the Second Quarter of Fiscal 2014 and Provides Updated Fiscal 2014 Guidance
- USA Mobility Sets Date to Report Fourth Quarter and 2013 Results
- Novatel Wireless Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results
- Alaska Communications Systems Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results
- Accelerate Electric & Gas Utility Resilience Initiatives to Advance Logistical Coordination and Utility Partnerships
- Research and Markets: Data Center Security Market: Global Advancements, Forecasts & Analysis 2013-2018 Report Out Now
- The Global Communications Test and Measurement (CT&M) Market: A Detailed Analysis of the Market with Forecasts to 2018 and In-Depth Company Profiles on the Market Leaders