What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 188.8.131.52. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- ScanSource to Announce Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year End 2014 Results on August 21, 2014
- SunGard Announces Second Quarter 2014 Results
- API Technologies Introduces the New EMCON All-in-One Secure Workstation
- Alcatel-Lucent reports Q2 2014 results
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 Now Generally Available
- Shaw Communications Inc. to acquire Viawest, Inc.
- TDS announces completion of two more ARRA broadband stimulus projects
- 2014 half-year results
- Windstream Takes UCaaS powered by Avaya Coast-to-Coast
- Tech Mahindra - Q1 Revenue at INR 5,122 Cr, up 25% YoY USD revenue at 855 mn up 3.6% QoQ and 18.1% YoY
- Capgemini Continues to Deliver on its Strategic Priorities Strong Increase in Profit in H1 2014: +36%
- Ecrypt Technologies and Whitenoise Laboratories Canada Inc. (WNL) Enter Into a Strategic Marketing Alliance
- Markets and Markets : Perimeter Security Market worth $17.7 Billion by 2018
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 Now Generally Available; Complete cloud platform allows enterprises to accelerate their move to cloud
- INSIDE Secure first-half 2014 results
- Kabam and Alibaba Group Team Up to Bring World-Class Mobile Game Titles to Players in China
- INVESTOR ALERT: Investigation of L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc. Announced by Glancy Binkow & Goldberg LLP
- ServiceSource Reports Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results
- Imperva Announces Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results
- Frontier Communications Included in Vice President Biden's 'Ready to Work' Report