What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 184.108.40.206. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Karolinska University Hospital Uses Polycom Video Collaboration Solutions to Mentor Surgeons at Regional Hospitals across Sweden
- Insight Teams with 8x8 to Provide Cloud Communications Solutions
- Verimatrix Shares Multi-Screen Revenue Security Expertise at ANGA COM 2013
- OnX Enterprise Solutions Signs Strategic Partnership With Hitachi Data Systems to Expand OnX Healthcare Practice in the U.S.
- Proficio Partners With Qualys to Provide Cloud-Based IT Security and Compliance for Medium-Sized Businesses
- LGS Innovations Awarded $2.9 Million BPA to Upgrade USGS WLAN
- Comcast Business VoiceEdge Now Available in Denver Area
- Awarepoint RTLS to Be Featured in Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) Interoperability Demonstration at AAMI 2013
- TeleCommunication Systems Achieves U.S. Army's JF-12 Spectrum Certification for Tactical Transportable TROPO System
- Novatel Wireless Selected by Mesh Systems for Its CDMA2000 1X Embedded Modules
- Cassidian CyberSecurity (EADS Group) holds approximately 83.9% of Arkoon Network Security shares
- Over 60% of Retailers Lack Understanding of Unified Communications, Reveals Survey
- ISRG, AHS, USMO, ISIS, MTL, ATVI Are Seasonally Ripe To Go Up In the Next Five Weeks
- MIS Computer of Chicago Debuts Its New HeadsUp FD Healthcare Software at MGMA's Illinois Conference to a Packed House
- BUYINS.NET: ISRG, AHS, USMO, ISIS, MTL, ATVI Are Seasonally Ripe To Go Up In the Next Five Weeks
- CyberlinkASP Deploys Linux Virtual Desktops
- AirPatrol Corporation's Indoor Geolocation Mobile Device Capabilities Showcased for Innovation at CTIA Wireless
- Tufin Primes Partners for Market Growth with Updated Channel Program; New Partner Portal, More Incentives and Additional Rebates for Top Performers Reflect Tufin's Commitment to the Channel
- Advanced 365 awarded place on G-Cloud iii; Latest government framework to accelerate cloud adoption in the public sector
- Technology Lunch and Learn with Avaya and NEM Technology