What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 126.96.36.199. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Cincinnati Bell Elects New Board Member John W. Eck
- Datalink Reports 2014 Third Quarter and Nine Month Operating Results
- ViON to Provide Storage Managed Services to the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $2.3 Million Advanced VSAT and Premium Services Order to Support Satellite Network in Asia
- Dynamic Lund Duo Inducted into Fishing Fame
- Eze Castle Integration Expands Cloud Offering with Unified Communications, File-Sharing and Security Applications
- Business Continues to Deliver with X-IO Active-Active Mirroring
- Xamin Announces Vulnerability Management Service to Proactively Identify and Remediate Threats within Financial Institutions' Network Infrastructure
- Toshiba Wins 'People's Choice' 2014 INTERNET TELEPHONY Channel Program Excellence Award
- AOD Software and Imprivata Partner to Provide Secure Communications for Senior Healthcare Market
- Kaspersky Lab and INTERPOL Survey Reports: 60 Percent of Android Attacks Use Financial Malware
- Patton Opens SmartNode VoIP CPE to VoIP & UC Appliance Developers
- All Covered Offers Network Vulnerability Scans to Help Businesses Protect Against Potential Security Risks
- Epicor Introduces Powerful, Easy-to-Use Epicor Eagle N Series Business Management Software for Automotive Aftermarket
- Arbor Networks Peakflow® 7.0 Dramatically Reduces Time to Detect and Mitigate DDoS Attacks
- 'Agari Trust Network' Will Create Ecosystem of Email Trust
- RIP Banner Ads: October 27, 1994 to October 27, 2014
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services Selects Logicworks to Manage Infrastructure for Enhanced Virtual Gateway
- AdaptiveMobile Uncovers Koler Worm Variant Spreading by Text Message and Holding Phones for Ransom
- Google Launches Security Key, World's First Deployment of Fast Identity Online Universal Second Factor (FIDO U2F) Authentication