What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 184.108.40.206. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Global Data Center Services Provider CyrusOne to Participate in Oklahoma IT Symposium
- Cincinnati Bell Gives Wireless Customers An 'Unlimited Thank You'
- Verify Corporation Helps Raise Funding for Twin Cities Individuals in Need
- CSC Announces Agility Platform 9.2 to Accelerate Hybrid Cloud Benefits and Reach within the Enterprise
- Atlantis Releases USX 2.0 All-Flash Performance at Half the Cost of SAN Storage; Introducing the First All-Flash Hyper-Converged Storage System, Teleport, and VMware VVOL for Any Storage
- CloudSigma Expands Public Cloud Footprint with DRFortress in Hawaii; CloudSigma Continues U.S. Cloud Expansion into Honolulu-Based Data Center to Assist Companies Migrating to the Cloud and Strengthen Presence in APAC
- MercuryGate Chooses Cleo to Power Its Online Logistics Optimization Service
- CloudSigma Expands Public Cloud Footprint with DRFortress in Hawaii
- Leading Analyst Firm Ranks NetScout as the Top Vendor in the Worldwide Network Management Software and Appliance Market
- Sonic Foundry Mourns the Passing of Board Member Michael Janowiak
- RingCentral Earns 2014 INTERNET TELEPHONY TMC Labs Innovation Award
- N-able by SolarWinds Sweeps Managed Services Category in CRN's 2014 Annual Report Card
- Atlantis Releases USX(TM) 2.0 -- All-Flash Performance at Half the Cost of SAN Storage
- ITS launches 36Mbps fixed wireless broadband service in East Manchester; ITS overhauls CityServe's superfast wireless broadband network following acquisition
- CounterPath Announces Contract and Strategic Channel Agreement with Large Network Equipment Provider
- GO grows operating profits, outperforms benchmarks during first half of 2014
- Research and Markets: Global IT Security Solutions Market in the Transportation Industry 2014-2018
- Security Software Giant F-Secure Selects Eucalyptus Systems For Private and Hybrid Cloud
- Mark Courtney appointed as General Counsel for Thuraya
- ThreatTrack Security Partners with Global Convergence Inc. to Distribute Advanced Cyber Threat Solutions