What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 184.108.40.206. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Virtualization in Cloud Computing, Network Infrastructure, Software Services and Platform Services
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Announces Increase in Annual Target Dividend and Raises Existing Stock Repurchase Program to $100.0 Million
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Announces Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2014 and Provides Updated Fiscal 2014 Guidance
- New Infonetics Report Projects Data Center and Enterprise SDN Market Will Top $3 Billion by 2017
- Frontier Communications Partners with CSID to Enhance Identity Protection Services
- Novitex Appoints Irina Novoselsky Head of Business Development
- Oberthur Technologies Will Present Its Q3 Financial Results to Investors on December 12th 2013
- Pythian Named One of Canada's Top Small and Medium Employers for 2014
- Allegion Rings Opening Bell at New York Stock Exchange
- Guidance Launches ChristopherBlue.com on Magento Enterprise 1.13
- Movius Reacts To Roaming Cost Threat With An Autoprovisioning 'App For That'
- Aquilent Named '2013 Top Workplace' by The Baltimore Sun
- Revolutionary Concepts Mobile Security System Could Dominate the $16 Billion Security Alarm Services Industry
- Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Receives Order for Approximately $7.0 Million for Military Communications Amplifiers
- University of Malaya pioneers the first e-Scroll with Thales technology; Thales hardware security modules and Time Stamp Servers help counter black market in degree certificates
- Prelert Partners With Cymbel Corporation to Deliver Its Big Data Analytics for Security Solution
- Virtusa Named to List of Best Places to Work by The Albany Business Review
- Ceiba's iSwarm Windows Phone 8 App Provides Streamlined Monitoring Across Social Media and Mobile App-Store Channels
- University of Malaya pioneers the first e-Scroll with Thales technology
- SRA Appraised at CMMI for Services Maturity Level 3