What is DNS ?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participants. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide. An often used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the 'phone book' for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, www.example.com translates to 220.127.116.11. DNS is down, it doesn't matter if your servers, storage, and network are up – your Web site is not available. And yet for many IT and business professionals, DNS is a mystery.
KPN, a telecommunications provider in the Netherlands, has selected the Nominum N2 platform and the Nominum IDEAL ecosystem to replace their existing open source DNS infrastructure.
The CNAME identifies the website, so you cannot do without it - but at the same time, it's so lengthy and cumbersome to remember that if you were not suffering from Alzheimer's, you'd probably soon fake it.
Recently, the .eu registry EURid introduced a new open-source Domain Name System (DNS) name server solution called YADIFA. Now, EURid will officially introduce YADIFA at an upcoming event.
Black Lotus, a security firm that pioneered the first commercially viable DDoS mitigation solutions, has upgraded its Human Behavior Analysis (HBA) technology. The company has integrated its HBA technology with DDoS mitigation technology created by NSFOCUS Information Technology Ltd. This is one of the Black Lotus' steps in order to stay ahead of evolving distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
Prolexic Technologies recently released a threat advisory on the HTTP Unbearable Load King (HULK) denial of service (DoS) script. Created by a network security researcher, the script was then shared publicly on his blog and went on to create unnecessary hype and panic, mainly due to his position. The HULK script clearly revealed the weaknesses vulnerable to malicious actors, who could then use it to shut down servers not optimally configured for performance and DDoS resistance.
Neustar, a provider of telecommunications solutions and directory services, has recently announced t…
Online ads keep on gaining in popularity. In fact, U.S. advertisers spent more on Internet ads than …
Online game maker Zynga has carved a wide pathway through the online gaming business. In the past fe…
Neustar, Inc., a provider of carrier and enterprise solutions for sending calls, messages and conten…
Lisa Hook has been named the new president and CEO of DNS Solutions provider Neustar. Previously pre…
Web Traffic Management
FREE DNS eNewsletter
Click here to receive your targeted DNS Community eNewsletter.
Latest DNS Industry News
- Actifio Becomes Oracle PartnerNetwork Platinum Level Partner
- Enhanced Integration Between Oracle Mobile Application Framework and Oracle Mobile Security Suite Helps Customers Secure Mobile Applications
- Migration to Siteworx' Managed Services Platform Significantly Improves Customer Experience for Kennametal.com
- Columbus Brings Virtual Desktop Solution Options to the Caribbean, Central America and Latin America
- Intelliverse Launches Hot TransferTM Feature for Managed Lead Generation Services
- Toshiba's New Cloud-based VIPedge Application Service Delivers Advanced UC, Mobility and Messaging for Toshiba's Strata CIX/CTX Business Phone Systems
- HealthEdge and NTT DATA Launch TriZetto Legacy System Migration Program
- Winners of the 2014 Cloud Computing Backup and Disaster Recovery Award Announced
- Defining Security in the Era of Cloud & Big Data
- HP Launches Industry's First SDN App Store, Unleashing New Wave of Networking Innovations
- Radware Provides Customers Protection from Bash Bug Shellshock Vulnerability
- Research and Markets: Middle East Cyber Security Market Outlook 2019 - Key Analysis of the $9.5 Billion Industry
- TraceSecurity Announces Integration Partnership with Information Shield
- Neustar to Build Multiple Tbps DDoS Mitigation Platform to Protect Customers from Attacks and Optimize Digital Experiences
- Wind River to Showcase Portfolio of Secure Communications Solutions at MILCOM 2014
- IPKeys to Provide Energy Demand Response Aggregation Services
- Panasonic Announces Interoperability Certification With Digium's Asterisk Software
- Vertex Launches Game Changing Tax Solution for the Hospitality Industry
- BVS Consulting and ChannelCreator Ink Strategic Partnership
- Middle East Cyber Security Market Outlook 2019 - Key Analysis of the $9.5 Billion Industry